Using the Ethereum Layer 2 scaling solution Base with your crypto wallet is easy. Base supports all EVM-compatible wallets like MetaMask, Coinbase Wallet, and more. This guide will walk through connecting to Base Mainnet and Testnet across popular wallets.
Overview of Base
Before jumping into wallet connectivity, let's briefly overview Base. Base is an Ethereum Layer 2 built by Coinbase and Optimism that aims to scale Ethereum for the next billion users.
As an L2, Base settles transactions on Ethereum periodically while handling most activity off-chain. This architecture reduces fees by 10x compared to Ethereum L1. Base also provides an EVM-equivalent environment, meaning existing Ethereum apps work out-of-the-box.
Now let's look at using Base with MetaMask, Coinbase Wallet, and other leading wallets.
Connecting Coinbase Wallet to Base
Coinbase Wallet provides built-in support for Base, making it one of the simplest options. Here's how to connect:
- Open the Coinbase Wallet browser extension and log into your account.
- Connect to a dapp that uses WalletConnect or another wallet connection method.
- Open the network selector menu in the top right and choose "Base" from the default network list.
That's it! Coinbase Wallet will now connect to Base Mainnet by default for that dapp.
Connecting MetaMask to Base
MetaMask requires adding Base as a custom network before use. Here are the steps:
- Open the MetaMask extension and click the network dropdown.
- Select "Add Network" and then "Manually add network".
Enter the following Base Mainnet details:
- Network Name: Base Mainnet
- RPC URL: https://mainnet.base.org
- Chain ID: 8453
- Symbol: ETH
- Click Save. Base will now show in your network selector.
Simply choose Base Mainnet from the network dropdown to connect MetaMask.
Switching to the Base Testnet
Base also provides a Goerli testnet for low-risk testing before mainnet deployment. Connecting your wallet to Base Goerli follows the same overall process.
For Coinbase Wallet, open the network selector and navigate to the Testnets tab to find Base Goerli.
For MetaMask, add a custom network with these details:
- Network Name: Base Goerli - RPC URL: https://goerli.base.org - Chain ID: 84531 - Symbol: ETH
Now you can develop and test apps on Base Goerli before mainnet launch.
Bridging Assets from Ethereum
Once connected to Base, you'll likely want to transfer assets from Ethereum mainnet. This requires bridging tokens via the Base Portal bridge app.
To bridge tokens:
- Visit https://portal.base.org and connect your wallet.
- Select the token and amount to bridge. You may need to approve the bridge contract first.
- Confirm the transaction in your wallet.
- Wait for finality on Ethereum then Base. This takes 7-10 minutes.
Your tokens will then show in your Base wallet balance, ready for use!
Managing Wallets and Accounts
Unlike Ethereum accounts where you have one main address, Base uses account abstraction with multiple addresses:
- User Addresses are used for sending, receiving, signing.
- Contract Deployment Addresses deploy and manage contracts.
You can access both address types in your wallet. MetaMask shows each account address with a user icon or contract icon to distinguish them.
Be sure to copy the correct address when sharing your Base account. User addresses start with 0x and look like regular Ethereum accounts.
Sending Transactions on Base
Once set up, transacting on Base is similar to Ethereum. Here are a few differences to note:
- Fees are much lower - just pennies per transaction.
- Transactions finalize instantly, unlike the delays on Ethereum.
- Nonce management is handled behind the scenes.
Otherwise, you can interact with dapps and DeFi protocols just like Ethereum!
In summary, connecting your crypto wallet to Base is straightforward with built-in support from Coinbase Wallet and custom network functionality on MetaMask. Bridging assets from Ethereum opens up the full suite of Base dapps and DeFi tools with fast, cheap transactions.
As Base matures over the coming months, expect more integrated wallet support, tooling, and broader adoption in the Ethereum ecosystem. Base aims to make Ethereum accessible for the next billion users - and connecting your wallet is the first step towards that goal.